Ron Chapman, II spoke to providers about responsible opioid prescribing and monitoring for pain management from an evidence-based best practices perspective at Michigan State Medical Society’s 150th Annual Scientific Meeting. Co-hosting was James Geldhof, DEA Director of Diversion at the Detroit Office (MI, OH, and KY), and Dr. Schwarz.
Seminar Learning Objectives:
- Discuss the history of continuous problematic prescribing of sedatives/tranquilizers with opioids.
- Become acquainted the Drug Enforcement Administration DEA and the many resources available to physicians.
- Describe red flags or risks to a practice by certain patient demographics.
- Explain risk stratification for abuse potential prior to beginning opioids for chronic pain.
- Discuss functional goals for improvement, and determine metrics of functional success in order to wean opioids.
- Identify emotional components contributing to chronic pain, and when to consider psychological and/or addiction consultation.
Location: Somerset Inn, Troy
Date and Time: October 23, 2015 at 8:30am – 11:30am
For more information, see Michigan State Medical Society Annual Meeting Program